Wednesday, October 18, 2017

My Views on Sufism Reoriented

Sufism Reoriented Sanctuary and Headquarters, Walnut Creek, CA

I am one of those Baba lovers that has a warmhearted feeling for Sufism Reoriented. I am bullish on Sufism Reoriented, and coming streams of mystical schools that are inspired by its charter in the future.

The differences between Sufism Reoriented and the unaffiliated Baba lovers are many.

Sufism Reoriented has clear leadership and overt hierarchy, while Baba lovers have either no leadership and hierarchy or covert leadership and hierarchy.

Members of Sufism Reoriented, from what I can tell, have disciplined lives, and clear coordinated direction, while Baba lovers are frequently directionless and for the most part follow the post-modern trend known to some religious scholars as sacro-egoism, where actions are dictated entirely by personal impression-driven desires and compulsions, often mistakenly taken as intuition. Of course we can only assume that the best of them really do follow their higher intuition.

Baba lovers tend to be disorderly and strangely paranoid about others and the future. Sufis, I have noticed, emphasize neatness, order, moral character, and optimism. If Sufis have a fault it is their exaggerated physical perfectionism – although I can see meaning in that.

I met the Sufi's Murshida Ivy Duce and their Murshid James MacKie in the 1980s. I had other happy interactions with the Sufis during that time. I found MacKie colorful and interesting, if a bit unusual. My father was an artist, so I get along grandly with the unusual.

Youpon Dunes in Myrtle Beach
I am very happy that Sufism Oriented purchased Youpon Dunes in my home town of Myrtle Beach, as I know they will do an outstanding job of preserving this house with its close affiliation to Baba's life and with deep connections to their own history.

I think there are different strokes for different folks. Some people need to follow their own drum and interpret Baba in their own quirky way, and that search for what works for them is part of their journey. And I think others thrive in a more structured collective environment, where missions are clear, mystical classes are attended, and where they can give to the larger community under that spiritual umbrella.

My basic feeling is that Sufism Reoriented is the business of Sufism Reoriented, and not the concern of others. I take the classical liberal attitude of live and let live. Sufism Reoriented is doing good, and no harm to anyone that I can see.

I think that Sufism Reoriented and its charter will be an inspiration to other Meher Baba inspired and oriented orders to spring up in the near or distant future. And hence I see it as very important – and I wish the Sufis well.

The meticulous neatness of Sufism Reoriented

The beautiful devotion to Baba's items the Sufis are known for

Sufism reoriented is chartered to protect the copyright of Baba's most important book, God Speaks. They keep it perennially in print. They also safeguard other copyrights as well as some of the best movie footage ever taken of Baba.

I wish to add one final comment about Sufism Reoriented. While it is my opinion that the Baba lovers (as that term is now understood) are destined to fade away with the last of the hippie-aged followers in the near future, I believe that Sufism Reoriented will survive for hundreds of years. And I believe it will stand as a model for new like-and-different orders to come, each with their own special approach to Baba. Such new sufis, under the unique definition Baba gave that term, I now believe may be the future of Baba following. And I think the great work that has been done by the Baba lovers to collect and conserve Baba's legacy will be appreciated long after they are gone. And I believe there will be harmony among these new groups and individuals.

1 comment:

  1. Chris, I have only just read this post 12/26/2018. It begs the documented history of dissimulation by Ivy Duce as to what in fact Baba promised to her regarding spiritual leadership of her sufi order. This is the crux of the matter: that Sufism Reoriented has aggrandized to itself a role and status that Baba never assented to. He pointedly disavowed Ivy Duce's assertion that he had promised there would an enlightened murshid or murshida leading the order for the next 700 years.

    Now, this does not deny as you aver that SR has a role, and even a prominent role, to play in time to come. That is not the point. What is the point is the veracity of the assertion that SR represents some kind of infallible or unfailingly divinely guided path to God. Baba never promised this. He did promise to help Ivy Duce and her mureeds on the basis of absolute honesty, which has not been the case.

    ReplyDelete