Tuesday, February 9, 2021

An Interview With Amira's Mother

The following article appeared today, February 9, in Eva, the largest Christian magazine for women in the Netherlands. It is autotranslated from Dutch. The photo, taken recently in South Africa, is also from the article. 
In 2013, the then 9-year-old Amira Willighagen auditioned for Holland's Got Talent. An audition you will not soon forget. A small radiant girl who blew the jury and viewers away with an opera number. Worldwide, the song "O mio babbino caro" was viewed 34 million times. 
What is it like to have a daughter with such a talent? Mother Frieda Brand: 
"Nothing has changed."
“Amira knew what she wanted early on. She did not learn to walk by our hand, she practiced with the walking cart in the garden herself. And when she was two, she had a tricycle. She noticed that it was difficult to cycle with a diaper and so she took it off. She has never had any accidents.”
It was therefore not surprising to Frieda that Amira decided to sing herself. “I myself had music lessons at school and play the piano. Amira's father plays the organ, her brother Fincent the violin. Amira decided: I want to sing and I will learn that myself. That's her way: wanting something and picking it up within five minutes. The jury of Holland Got’s Talent was stunned when the then nine-year-old said that she was not taking singing lessons, but was looking up songs on YouTube herself and singing them afterwards.”
WHITE ZIPPER
Entering the talent show was also Amira's idea. “We thought it was something like the Voice Kids and had no idea that adults were participating. We had no expectations of it. Amira's father and brother were at the stage, I was in the hall with her friends. I was more concerned with them than with the audition, because nine-year-olds need quite a bit of guidance. We hadn't prepared her at all. When she stood there I thought: does she know how the microphone works and how far away she should be?
"When she got there, I thought: does she even know how the microphone works?"
The day before, I hurriedly sewed a piece of clothing because we thought she shouldn't wear her jeans. I wanted to put buttons on it, but because I was tired I put in a zipper. I just didn't have a matching gold so I used a white one. Not knowing that it came into full view during the recordings and looked eerily white. It looked awful. If only I had made a little more effort, I thought afterwards.”
NO DIVA
The next morning they did not realize that anything special had happened. “We were stretched out on the couch and suddenly there were a lot of TV cameras in front of the door. People looked in, the phone rang all the time. We wondered if something was wrong.” Amira's audition turned out to be the talk of the town.
WAS THE WORLD ON ITS HEAD FROM THEN?
"What do you mean? Amira is not a diva, she is not spoiled or boring. At most she has become a bit more world-wise and has her own company.” The family did have to learn to set boundaries. “Sometimes someone who had traveled all the way from Australia called to deliver a package. He expected a pleasant evening with us. Or you received packages without a ticket and then it was stated on the internet that Amira had not thanked.
"Amira gave priority to school, family and friends"
The music industry is a tough world, Frieda noted. “They think they can achieve anything with money and that is how you are treated. But Amira didn't want to perform everywhere or go on a world tour. She prioritized her school work and her family and friends. She has been much criticized for that. Fortunately she is strong in her shoes.”
NOTHING IS SURE
Frieda has systematic sclerosis, an autoimmune disease that she, humanly speaking, does not cure. “I don't expect to get old. At first I was worried and stressed. How should that be when the children are still small. And I thought things like: I want to make sure that I see Amira's wedding. But then I just realize that nothing is certain. God determines and what comes next is much more important. Life here is temporary. I also don't wonder why it happens to me. I can also be in a car accident. I usually feel peace.”
Frieda grew up in South Africa and at the age of twenty-three moved to the Netherlands, got married and divorced there. She is now back in South Africa. “At first I was full of life, but my illness gave me a lot of pain. I felt very alone at the time and longed for my family. In South Africa I feel at home, I love the smells, the vegetation, the wildlife. The climate is also better for my health.”
DISCIPLINE
The children also feel at home in South Africa. “I think it's something genetic. They ground here. It's all about family, school and church. There is discipline. Amira was frustrated in the Netherlands because it was restless in the classroom. She couldn't pay attention. Here she has blossomed more, going from sixes and sevens to eight and nines. Fincent was not happy at school in the Netherlands. He had no friends there, but here he became a leader. A lot is organized at school, including in the evenings, and sport is important. I know the teachers personally and can reach them via Whatsapp twenty hours a day.
Life is protected here. You won't see naked on TV or hear name calling or swearing. There is no nightlife. Parties take place in the afternoon or at the beginning of the evening. Young people take to the streets less. At eighteen, you go to church to play games, eat an ice cream or go to the cinema. There is nothing more.
"Life in South Africa is tough, but also protected"
On the other hand, we have to be careful about robberies. There is an iron gate in front of every door, we have an alarm and security day and night. Fincent is sometimes frustrated about it, it takes a lot of time to open and close every gate. In the event of a burglary, they flatten the gate and enter with large guns. So there must be many obstacles in the house. Within two minutes there is security with even bigger guns and body armor. We feel pretty safe. When we drive to the village we have to lock the doors because people are trying to rip open your door, that has already happened five times. It's a hard life, but strangely enough it is also more protected.
VISION
Frieda grew up in a reformed church, “comparable to the Dutch old reformed church”. She and her children are now members of the Nazarene Agape congregation. “For us, our faith is the center, the starting point, also for the children. Amira often chooses a song with a religious character. She believes she got her voice from God and sings to His glory. The first time she sang, she sang on my lap. We had a vision at the same time. That sounds boastful, we don't get it ourselves. Amira was sitting on a cloud in the sky. The cloud opened and she beamed. We both became very emotional. From then on God was part of everything.”
"Amira said we are not meant to get money and fame."
“The world is pulling you, God is pulling you back. You are seduced by money and worldly fame. Someone offered to write a book, pretended it was a good cause, and we would get money for it. I found that attractive, because my vacuum cleaner was broken. But the man himself wanted to get rich, and people who wanted the book would be milked out. Amira said, "Mom, we are not supposed to have money and fame." We returned the money and I swept the floor with a broom for another year. But the decision felt so right. I think God has a purpose for Amira. People call her an angel. She radiates something, something strong. Still, she still wants to hear what I think of her performances. The golden judgment is for her mother.”

No comments:

Post a Comment