Thursday, September 18, 2014

Update on the Shroud of Turin

How the shroud actually appears
before it is reversed to negative
In 2009 I wrote a post titled Shroud of Turin. Since then I have updated that page many times as new information became available and old YouTube videos went off-line and new better ones appeared. If one visits that page they will see some of those new videos.

The main point of that post was that in 1933 Baba told Elizabeth Patterson that the Shroud of Turin being exhibited in Italy that year was the authentic burial shroud of Jesus. So I have followed the progress of new research on the Shroud over the years since hearing this. But my own account was based on my memory of my father telling me he heard this from Tom Riley and that Elizabeth had conveyed this to him. As my father and Elizabeth are gone, I have never had a chance to verify the account with Tom until now.

1933 exhibit of the shroud of Turin
Today I had that opportunity as I ran into Tom Riley, who along with his first wife Yvonne, told my parents about Baba in 1964. I took Tom aside and asked him about the account I remembered my father telling me, and he immediately confirmed it was true. I barely got the words out. He knew exactly what I was referring to. He also told me that the fact Baba said this is documented but that he was no longer certain where he had read it.

A brief history:

In 1978 a team of scientists called STURP for Shroud of Turin Research Project, which included several scientists from the Los Alamos National Laboratory, went to Italy and spent five days performing tests and taking images and samples of the shroud. They released their findings in 1981, which said they could find no obvious cause for the image.

However, in 1988 a carbon 14 test came back showing the shroud to be a 14th century creation. So for another decade and a half most scientifically minded people ignored the shroud as a medieval hoax.

Then, in 2005, Los Alamos scientist and atheist Raymond Rogers published a paper in the extremely prestigious peer-reviewed scientific journal Thermochimica Acta, showing his definitive finding that the sample that was carbon dated in 1988 was not representative of the actual burial cloth, but part of a repair done in the 16th century, causing a false date. All this and more is explained in the video below. 43 min.



See also Shroud of Turin.

2 comments:

  1. Chris, regarding the French "re-weaving" technique perfected in the Middle Ages, it is still practiced today, and is the basis of the hair re-weaving industry (Hair Club for Men). These people can weave individual hairs. Tiny twisted woven threads are nothing to them!! The technique developed when magnifying glass became more widely manufactured and available in... France. Logical. Interestingly, the Germans were the ones who developed complex glass-blowing and glass-making techniques. When I went to visit Germany as a young adult, I visited a glass museum in northern Germany, with glass bottles from the Roman times. Germany was the glass-making capital of the Roman Empire! This is also one of the reasons there were so many early photographers in Germany. They were the inventors of many of the processes to create the chemicals necessary for photography, and the lenses to take pictures. They had thousands of years of experience with glass and chemicals... and this evolved to making bombs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...back to re-weaving... when I lived in New York City as an adult (early-mid-1980s), New York Magazine did a huge article on the re-weaving industry, which was connected with the (French) dry cleaning shops throughout Manhattan. You can look it up. It was a guild activity that was passed person to person for centuries. You could go to a specialized dry cleaners and have them re-weave a burn or tear in your $1500 dress or jacket. At that time you would pay about $35 for the work. Not cheap! I saw examples of the work and it was really amazing.

    ReplyDelete