Friday, April 15, 2022

CONVERSATION PIECES

 CONVERSATION PIECES

a poem by Malcolm Norton

Loved lady from the Netherlands,

Whenever we’re together and

We talk after I’ve heard you sing

A further pleasure is listening

To you, as charmingly you speak

As sweetly as you sing. You pique

My interest constantly. Respect

For wisdom, insight, intellect

In one who is so very young

Imposes silence on my tongue.

*

{If I committed an absurdity

As if she hadn’t heard it, she

Is too polite, kind and well-bred

To suggest that I am off my head.}

*

Conversing with a maiden wise

As you are, you can still surprise

And keep me awed and in suspense

Lest somehow I offend you. Hence

I’m in a state bordering on fear;

I might be moved to shed a tear

As anyone may who understands

The loved lady from the Netherlands.

The author in conversation with Amira at Groot Constantia Wine Estate after her
Proms-Lite concert in Cape Town.
Poem reproduced by permission of the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment