Saturday, August 1, 2009

2012

People keep telling me something is about to happen. I hear it everywhere. It's definitely not just Baba lovers. It's not just Christians. It's ubiquitous in the media. Glenn Beck just dedicated a show to it, and Steven Colbert just dedicated a show to Glenn Beck's show. The History Channel, of all places, features more shows on Nostradamus than Napoleon, more documentaries on how the world might end tomorrow than on how it began. They should change the name of that show. They should call it The Tomorrow Channel.

There certainly are a lot of signs that things are getting tentative, like the economy that totters like a ball on a stick.

And have you seen the trailer to the new movie from the makers of The Day After Tomorrow?

What is it about 2012? Is Baba going to break his silence? From all I can gather, there is nothing to it. Every calendar is cyclical. Each year December ends and January begins. In the case of the Mayan baktun ending on December 21, 2012, a better analogy is the end of November. From what little I can gather, the Mayans didn't associate anything particularly important with the end of this baktun. José Argüelles did. Of course I could be wrong. But what can't be denied is the heightened sense of expectation - of something about to happen. I'll tell you one piece of trivia about 2012 that made my eyes pop. Norina Matchabelli was famous for her role as the Madonna in a German pantomime play called Das Mirakel (The Miracle). It was also a famous movie starring her and directed by Max Reinhardt. That film opened in Germany on December 21, 1912. Oh, but in case I forget, I also happen to share a birthday with her husband Prince Georges V. Matchabelli - July 23. What the heck is going on? Well what did Baba say about the end of days? Unfortunately, Baba's words can be used to make nearly any argument you like. In his final declaration given 1954 Baba said,
"During this short period, my word of words will touch the hearts of all mankind, and spontaneously this divine touch will instill in man the feeling of the oneness of all fellow-beings. Gradually, in the course of the next 700 years, this feeling will supersede the tendency of separateness, and rule over the hearts of all, driving away hatred, jealousy and greed that breed suffering, and happiness will reign."
But in late 1968 Baba said something a little more ominous:
"Jesus said: 'Father, forgive them for they know not what they do.' I say: 'Father, pity them for they know not what will happen.'" (Meher Baba, Lord Meher, print edition, p. 6557)
Keep in mind though that Baba could have been referring to the imminent dropping of his body, as this is what Jesus was referring to - his crucifixion. I have noticed that one thing people do is they take their own expectations and they read those expectations into Baba's words. I now try to be watchful of that habit in myself. There is one misconception, that Baba's advent marks the end of a cycle of cycles. Rather it is the next.
"My next advent, after I drop this body, will be after seven hundred years, and that will mark the end and the beginning of a cycle of cycles."
But in the end, Baba was a bringer of good news.
"When I come again after seven hundred years, the evolution of consciousness will have reached such an apex that materialistic tendencies will be automatically transmuted into spiritual longing, and the feeling of equality in spiritual brotherhood will prevail. This means that opulence and poverty, literacy and illiteracy, jealousy and hatred, which are in evidence today in their full measure, will then be dissolved through the feelings of the oneness of all men. Prosperity and happiness will then be at their zenith."

6 comments:

  1. I'm surprised to read that Baba said 'Father, pity them for they know not what will happen.' I had always felt this way when thinking of Jesus, even though he excused the crowds that were around his crucifixion. Like Jala Tapasvi told Kaka and Eruch in Rishikesh: "For how can the people from Hell mix with the people from Heaven? Those from Hell must be wiped out!" OK, we can't pin down words from holy people. We are bound to mix them with our desires and expectations, or our fears and worries. I like how Bhau keeps repeating that whatever destruction is to be, it is for the construction. And "if I am also there, how nice that 3/4 of my sanskaras will be annihilated". Now as for setting dates, it wasn't all that long ago (actually just before I found about Meher Baba at the end of my teens) that I had a "end-time date" fixed in my "intuitions" (term misused). But when my set date expired and the world kept on going, I had found much more interest in Baba's words than caring to fix the next "end-time date".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jai Baba! Thanks for your wonderful blogs Chris. I've always felt an optimistic tone to the little I've read of Baba, in which his messages point toward a transformation toward consciousness and action based on spirituality.

    And thank you for making all these Baba resources available in the context of your reflections.

    Talat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey just wan't to let you know your book 'The evolution of perception & the Cosmology of Substance' really blew my mind. I was reading Baba before it but I was sort of trying to hard to interpret it to fit my own reality tunnel. After your book the ball really got rolling...

    I had an idea just the other day that perhaps the avatars last incarnations silence had a secret meaning. This is far out here but what if hes trying to hint to us were going to become psychic soon?
    "Life as a whole is stepped up to a higher level of consciousness, is geared to a new rate of energy. The transition from sensation to reason was one such step. The transition from reason to intuition will be another..."
    From reason to intuition strook me. I can't help but think thats the transition we are making right now.

    "Very soon people will be smaller with bigger heads, and all flying about with machines. They will talk less, as they will read each other's minds."
    Very soon he says eh?
    & He also says 3/4's of the population will die in a cataclysm. Is this what he meant "pity them for they know not what will happen?"
    I know he speaks of later peace and brotherhood but wouldn't that have to come later after the pain? I'm very weary of our near future. owyeeee......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am Oliver `69 from Belgrade, Serbia and I had Nirvana and I recognised Avatar Meher Baba as my previouse reincarnation and now I am the 32. reincarnation of Jesus and here in Serbia I am maybe becose I was Princ Rastko Holly Sava, too. Spreading those news will help the fall of Holly Spirit over mankind bringing spiritually help and most people will be happy...and sorry for my bad English. Yours Oliver Vienna Meher Baba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since Baba is love of course you are him, we all are him.Some know it more than others.

      Delete
  5. i began following Baba in 1969, and have read and re-read His teachings.
    the way i look at what Baba was teaching, He had to address mankind in a way that they could possibly wrap their heads around.
    if He were to have said, when I drop my body, God, the energy that is in and around everything we perceive to be real, is going to spin at a faster and faster rate, prople would not have understood.
    as we can all clearly see, we are... moving faster and faster every day.
    the way Kharma works, if you throw a pebble into a pond, Kharma happens instantly. according to Baba, this is always the case.
    just as a pebble hits the water, and instantly the waves begin, Baba dropping the body was the pebble hitting the vibrational existance that we are.
    just as the water speeds up, and up, then settles back to calm, the vibrations will speed to a point where they have to calm.
    i believe that we are in the throws of reaching the peak of the spin, and in a short period, perhaps 2012, the vibrations will begin to turn back to a slow calm human experience.
    unfortunitely, i also believe that during this time of the final speeding up, we will have to experience a great deal of what we would call bad times.
    the best thing i can say is, if you are to move forward in this experience you should be hopeful that my concept becomes true, because when the "ocean of Love" settles down, love will follow.
    Jai Baba..todd

    ReplyDelete